Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ruby's Fire by Catherine Stine

 

I didn't know when I requested this book from NetGalley that is actually a sequel.  I don't think it made much of a difference but I thought I'd mention it.  

This story takes place in what used to be the western desert area of the US.  It is set in the future after a war.  Ruby lives in a compound that is referred to as a cult most of the way through the book.  In the first few chapters we find that Ruby is to be given to a man, Stiles, as part of a ritual.  She drugs Stiles and escapes with her brother.  They find themselves at a school where they take refuge.  There they become involved in a contest to turn a plant into something useful.  

There are some bizarre twists as Ruby and her brother find themselves changing in very unexpected ways.  There is a lot of strange genetics and inventions and people are not always what they seemed.

I liked the book well enough but didn't love it.  It was a bit strange.  Part of my hesitation might be that I knew early on that it would not be appropriate for my students so after that I was just reading it to finish it.  Some people might like it...

I don't feel like I can give it a ribbett but it doesn't deserve a croak either.  I would say check out some other reviews and give it a shot...

No comments:

Post a Comment