Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Apprentices by Maile Meloy



I didn't realize this book was a sequel when I got it from Netgalley but I realized it must be once a got a few pages in.  The characters were already referencing events that made it clear to me the reader that I was already missing something,I kept reading though and was able to catch up and catch on.  I do think it would have been better if I had read the first because some characters are referenced who don't have big roles in this book but have an influence.

Anyway, in this book, even though Janie was given something to make her forget the events of two years prior, she has memories of the Apothecary and his son Benjamin and their adventures.  This time around Janie is working on an experiment of remove salt from ocean water.  But when she is falsely accused of cheating and expelled from school things become complicated.  Meanwhile Benjamin develops a powder that enables a person to "see" what another person is doing from far away.  Janie and Benjamin use it to interact with each other but it is also used to spy on the villain.  Other characters join in the race to stop the villain from developing a nuclear weapon resistant to tampering. 

I thought it was a really good book but I really need to go back and read the first one in order to understand more about some of the characters and what they did with the nuclear weapons in the first book.

Ribbet...


No comments:

Post a Comment