Saturday, June 29, 2013

Recentering the Universe: The Radical Theories of Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, and Newton by Ron Miller

  

This book covers the various theories of the place of the planet Earth in the Universe.  While primarily focusing on Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, and Newton, the author also discusses the older theory of Ptolemy and even some more recent geocentric models.  The book is organized in biographical sections which give the history of the astronomer and his contributions.  In addition, the author looks at the role religion played in the development and hindrance of some of the theories.

I really wish this book had been around 5 years ago when I was teaching space to my fifth graders and one of our standards was covering the Ptolemy, Copernicus, and Galileo.  I had to do a lot of research to make it kid-friendly.  While this text would be a bit high for 5th graders it is more accessible than what I had and I could have used portions of it.

Ribbet...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment