Monday, September 2, 2013

Zebra Forest by Adina Rishe Gewirtz

  

I had already heard some buzz about this book so I was excited to get a copy for review for the Maine Student Book Award.  

Annie has three wished for the summer - get tall, have an adventure, and meet her father.  She has had the same wishes for years but she hasn't gotten taller, nothing like the Iran Hostage Crisis would ever happen in her town, and her dad is dead.  Everything changes one night after a riot at a nearby prison.  One of the escapees comes to her house to hide.  This is of course where the author takes the reader on an adventure - the escaped prisoner is Annie's father.  Is that too much of a coincidence?  Too unbelievable?  At first I was concerned...really, that's just too much....but, the way things are explained and unfold it does make sense.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit and actually read it in a few hours - which was pretty remarkable considering I am recovering from spleen surgery and sitting for a few hours isn't the most comfortable...but I liked it.

Ribbit...

No comments:

Post a Comment