Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pems to Learn by Heart Collected by Caroline Kennedy

 


A lot of people have raved about this collection of poetry so I may be the lone voice who doesn't totally agree.  Don't get me wrong.  I really don't have anything against the poems.  Many of the poems in this collection are familiar to me and many of them are fabulous.  I especially liked "Voices Rising".  The illustrations are beautiful as well.  So what is the problem?  I just don't find it very kid friendly.  I have a copy.  I will put it in my library.  But who will check it out?  Poetry doesn't get checked out by students much.  Occasionally Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky will get checked out but unless it's April (Poetry Month) and they are required to my poetry books don't circulate.  Teachers check poetry books out more.  I love poetry, I really do but in order to get kids really interested it needs to be unique and different.  

I don't want to croak because I do like the poems...I just don't think the book will have a lot of kid appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment