Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes

 

This book has garnered a bit of buzz lately.  I had some classes come in a few weeks ago to watch a webinar with Kevin Henkes and it was a lot of fun.  Mr. Henkes read from the book and talked about it a bit. 

So what did I think?  It was a delightful read.  It was charming.  Billy Miller was a cute 2nd grader and the 4 sections of the book had their own little plots and Billy went through his 2nd grade year.  We saw Billy navigate a tricky situation with his teacher, help his dad make a breakthrough, come to appreciate his sister, and honor his mother.  

I have heard some Newbery buzz...what do I think about that?  I am not sure it will be deemed "meaty" enough.  It is a quiet, gentle read but if one takes the time to really appreciate it he would find some wonderful nuggets in the sentences and descriptions.  Time will tell of course.

Ribbit...


No comments:

Post a Comment