Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Thing About Luck by Cynthia Kadohata

 

Wow, it's almost October.  3 more months of 2013 books to review.  It is getting to be crunch time.  For my work on the Maine Student Book Award committee I want to make sure I have read all the titles that are considered noteworthy.  I want to make sure we don't miss anything we should have read.  I look at a lot of blogs and "best of" lists.  This book has been on several lists so I decided to give it a go.

This book is about Summer, her brother Jaz, their dog Thunder and her grandparents.  Their family has had a string of bad luck.  Her parents are currently in Japan caring for some relatives.  Jaz and Summer are joining their grandparents as combine workers during the wheat harvest.  This is something they do almost every year.  This book only covers a few weeks of the beginning of the harvest.  During that time the reader sees how intense the harvest can be.  Interspersed with all this is Jaz's wish to have a friend. Summer's crush, and her grandparents' poor health.

I really don't see what all the book love is about.  The book was fine but I just didn't find it stellar.  There were a lot of things left unresolved and it just didn't grab me in an way.  

Sorry :(


No comments:

Post a Comment