Monday, January 19, 2015

Sky Raiders

 

I don't think I have to remind anyone about my feelings about book length.  Honestly for me I like long books with good character and plot development but when I see students coming into my library it is rare that really long books get checked out.  So 421 pages....

I enjoyed the book.  I will say it was a bit odd but it was supposed to be...semblances, shaping, giant cookies, weird creatures...yep it had all that..  The story had me a bit creeped out at first when the kids got kidnapped - didn't know quite where it was going.  Then we got to the Outskirts.  I enjoyed the part of the book where Cole was working with the Sky Raiders and when they got to the cloudwall.  I enjoyed the bantering between characters.  Because I am not always a fan of higher fantasy I got bogged down when they finally encountered Carnag.  

Of course I also knew going into this that it is the first in a series.  Ugh.  But, it did end on a fairly good note.  Carnag defeated - stage 1 complete if you will and now they are on their way to help one of Mira's sisters.  Not an annoying cliffhanger.

I can see some students really enjoying this...but I am still thinking it is too long for my particular library.

No comments:

Post a Comment