Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Chris Everheart author of Seti's Charm Guest Blog

  


I recently read the book Seti's Charm by Chris Everheart.  I really enjoyed it.  Today I am featuring a guest blog post by Chris Everheart about reluctant readers.  Hope you enjoy....

I sometimes explain myself like this: "I'm living proof that harnessing talents like staring out the window and watching TV can be put to use for the good (or at least the entertainment) of humankind.” I spent most of my childhood staring out the window of classrooms and wondering what was going on “out there”. When I was 12 years old, I wouldn’t have been caught dead with a book in my hand. So how does a childhood reluctant reader like me end up writing books? 
Short answer: I'm as surprised as you are!
Long answer: Even though reading was frustrating for me (sometimes still is), I connected deeply with stories through TV and movies. (If I had thought of it early enough in my life, I would have gone to film school - maximum reading requirement: a 90-page screenplay!) Through art, humanities, film, and television I absorbed enough story over the years to finally feel the need to just spit it out. That’s when I started writing. Throw a couple of dedicated teachers in there for influence and here I am, an award–winning author of more than twenty books for young readers! Unbelievable. 
I used to be embarrassed about my reading and learning problems. They didn’t call us “Nontraditional Learners” in my day; we were “slow” or “lazy”, suspended in a motivate-or-abandon culture. That’s not to say there weren’t dedicated teachers who made a difference - there certainly were. But there was little understanding or resources for the struggling student. What’s often missed is the huge impact reading difficulties have on self-esteem. It’s really hard to see other kids “getting it” or picking up and enjoying books and not understand why you don’t. 
In the last few years I’ve connected with other “dummies” like me and realized how many kids (and adults) out there have the same struggles. This problem suddenly looks more and more like an asset as I’ve become willing to talk about it openly. These days a lot of parents, teachers, and librarians ask me for advice helping their reluctant readers so I formulated the R.E.A.D.E.R. tips. In short, they are: 
R - Rule out learning disorders
E - Engage, don’t threaten
A - Any reading counts
D - Difficulties are temporary, self-esteem is for a lifetime
E - Encourage alternate subjects
R - (be a) Reading role model
Read more details on my Reading Rabble blog post.
As an author I write like how a reluctant reader thinks – because I have no other option: lots of action; short, cliffhanger chapters; sometimes cliffhanger book endings; accessible vocabulary. There’s nothing more satisfying to me than to hear a kid – or their parent, teacher, or librarian – say they read the whole thing, fast, and couldn’t put it down. It makes my heart soar, because I know that finishing, comprehending and loving a book is a huge accomplishment to a struggling reader and something to celebrate!
The amazing conclusion from my life's experience, though, is that childhood reluctance to read doesn't spell doom for a person’s future - even in the language arts! We want to learn. Don’t give up on us. Read more at my Reading Rabble blog where we focus on “Inciting excitement for books”. 
 
Check out Chris Everheart at:

No comments:

Post a Comment