Sunday, January 4, 2015

All the Bright Places

 

I am a book hoarder.  I probably have between 150 and 200 books by my bed to read.  I am on the Maine Student Book Award committee and am still trying to read some 2014 titles before our meeting next Saturday but dang there are already 2015 titles on NetGalley to be read and reviewed before they are archived.  Dang it...

One of the books that I had to get on NetGalley was this one.  It will be published on the 6th and archived on NetGalley the same day so I needed to read it.

Will it be a MSBA nominee?  No - too much language and sex and honestly too much realism for my the MSBA audience.  If we had a YA award in Maine then absolutely.  This book was wonderful in a gut wrenching, sad way.  Without getting too personal this book really hit home...friends, relatives, the news, famous people...suicide is there and it hurts.  This is one of those books that hits you in the gut...is it hopeful?  Maybe.  Is it honest?  Yes.  Will it make any difference?  I don't know.  To say you enjoy a book like this is weird so I can say it moved me and I felt it was well written.

No comments:

Post a Comment