Thursday, January 1, 2015

 

I received 4 of the Ken Jenning's Junior Guides (maybe that is all there is so far) from the publisher to read for the Maine Student Book Award committee.  With our meeting looming in 10 days were are all reading furiously to try and give as many books as possible a chance at getting on the short list.  Then we will be reading just as furiously for the final list to be announced at the end of March.  I don't think I will have time to read all 4 of the books so I chose the Greek Gods since I had just read Rick Riordan's book as well.  

Ken Jennings did a good job of highlighting facts about all the gods and goddesses without too much detail or being too lengthy.  He also injected humor and interactivity into it which helped.  For my purposes I think this book and the others will go over well with students who are interested in those topics already.  They are not too long and have some good info.  Will they make it onto our MSBA list?  Probably not - the list tends to be primarily fiction but we try to have a few nonfiction titles.  The difficulty lies in finding nonfiction that has a broad appeal so that a number of students will read it...this can be tricky.  We have a few on the list this year and I am surprised how few reads they are getting...

Anyway - I liked this guide and it will get use by teachers and students looking for more info on mythology.  I have no doubt the other guides will get used as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment