Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Will in Scarlet by Matthew Cody

  

Okay...if you have been reading this blog and/or my Librarian in a Candy Shop blog I need to let you know that the Librarian in a Candy Shop blog was for a class.  I have a few more entries for the class but that one is mostly done.  There were certain requirements which is why it was longer, had standards, etc.  It was a lot of work and I was doing double duty by posting on here as well.  In addition, if it is a NetGalley book (like this one is) then I post on there.  I also post on Goodreads and if it's a 2013 book I post for my Maine Student Book Award committee.  That is a lot of writing for one book and honestly it took some of the joy out of just reading.  So...no more Librarian in a Candy Shop at least for now.

I really liked this book...as evidenced by the fact that I stayed up late to read it and then got up early to finish.  I should be doing homework, exercising, showering...etc.

Anyway, in this book Will is the son of Lord Shackley who is off fighting with King Richard the Lionhearted in the Crusades.  Meanwhile John, King Richard's brother, is trying to take over the throne.  England is in chaos and due to some thievery and backstabbing Will must run away.

Will finds himself in Sherwood Forest with a band of thieves called the Merry Men.  Yes, it is a Robin Hood tale but not your typical retelling.  I have not had a lot of experience with Robin Hood - yes the Kevin Costner movie and Robin Hood: Men in Tights (much better) but not a lot of reading.  I really enjoyed this take.  Will Scarlet is a good hero who helps the other Merry Men (including Rob) discover their purpose.  It was full of action and funny.

Ribbett...




No comments:

Post a Comment