Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie by Herman Parish

 



Amelia Bedelia is staying with her grandparents.  Her grandmother decides to make an apple pie and sends Amelia and her grandfather in search of Granny Smith.  In typical Amelia Bedelia fashion there are some misunderstandings along the way.  When Grandma makes her pie Amelia makes a small one as well.  It’s a good thing too, because Grandma’s pie becomes food for the crows.  There is a recipe for apple pie at the end of the book.


I love Amelia Bedelia.  I have used the original books to teach multiple meanings and idioms.  That being said, I do not enjoy the newer books by Herman Parish as much.  I feel like he tries too hard and the misunderstandings are forced.  I have them in my library and we often compare the two authors and the books about Amelia as a young girl are a way to introduce students to the other books.
  
Ribbett...


No comments:

Post a Comment