Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Search for Baby Ruby


Image result for search for baby ruby




I am honestly baffled by this book.  Notice the difference between the 2 covers.  The top one is the cover of the book I picked up at a recent Scholastic Warehouse sale.  On the cover I would say the girl looks between8 and 10.  Then the cover below is from the Scholastic website and says "cover not final".  It is hard to tell but the girl  looks older - teenage.  In the book Jess is 12.

So what's the big deal??  Jess has been left tobabysit her neice Ruby.  While Jess goes into the bathroom to try on her sister's wedding dress and make-up, Ruby is kidnapped.  Jess is scared and ashamed and ends up trying to find Baby Ruby mostly on her own but then is also kidnapped.  On the first cover the girl looks too young to be babysitting and really too young for some of the content of the book - particularly the talk of sex in the cemetary.  Up to that point I was debating about keeping the book - then nope, not in my school.  If the second cover had been used I wouldn't have been as shocked, still wouldn't have put the book in my library, but wouldn't have been as shocked.  

I just don't get the marketing on this one???

No comments:

Post a Comment