Saturday, September 5, 2015

Benjamin Franklin is a Huge Pain in My

Image result for benjamin franklin is a huge pain

Honestly I should have known based on the title but I decided to read it hoping it would be something for my reluctant readers, maybe boys.  Yeah, no.  I knew at the end of the first chapter that there was no way I was going to recommend it or buy it.  

Franklin Isaac (who goes by Ike) has an assignment to write an imaginary letter to a famous person.  He chooses to write to Ben Franklin whom he was namd after.  In that first letter he mentioned Jungle Juice which "makes the chicks lose control".  I was done at that point. A 13 yr old protagonist speaking about girls that way?  Nope?  In addition, he himself stole a six pack and drank 2 beers (they ended up being non-alcoholic but he didn't know it at the time).  I also worry that the correspondence between Ik and Franklin (yes, it turns out they actually communicate) will be hard to read - Ben Franklin talks in the English of his day.

There were parts I did like and I can see middle school boys buying this and enjoying it but I don't feel I can promote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment