Monday, February 13, 2017

Forever, or a Long, Long Time




















So, I am supposed to be finishing up my 2016 books that are on the MSBA shortlist but...  When I am on my elliptical I can read books on my iPad and I am already hoarding 2017 books from NetGalley and Edelweiss.  This was a book I started reading a few days ago and when I got off the elliptical today (snow day) I had to finish it.  Wow, so good.

Flora and Julian were in foster care for a long time and it wasn't great.  They now have a family but it is still hard - Julian hoards food and pretends everything is great, Flora keeps a lot inside and at times can't speak at all.  Their new mom promises that she will be with them forever but when they find out that she is having a baby the doubts creep back in.  Neither one of them remember much and don't think they were actually born but rather appeared at some point.  Together their new mom, Julian, Flora, and the rest of her new family set out to uncover the past and although it is painful it is the only way to move forward.

So, so good - tough to read at times but hopeful and powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment