Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Trouble in Me

Image result for the trouble in me 

I have heard of Jack Gantos - I mean if you follow children's literature at all of course you have - I mean Dead End in Norvelt, Joey Pigza, etc, etc.  I had heard that Jack has a past but I have never read much about it.  

The Trouble in Me follows a few weeks in Jack's young life where he meets and then tries to emulate a neighbor named Gary.  Gary is trouble - spent time in juvie, a fighter, liar, stealer, your basic hoodlum.  Up to now Gary has been a pretty good kid but he wants to change...  

Wow - the writing is fantastic.  Jack Gantos is the real deal - the language, sentence structure - fantastic.  The content - very edgy, whoa Jack seriously.  As a librarian at a 1st - 5th grade school this is a bit too much for my readers.  Middle School / Junior High???  Absolutely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment