Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Whole New Ballgame

 

Okay - honest here.  I looked at the cover of this and thought it would be very simple, fluff, maybe good for my younger readers but not much substance.  I was pleasantly surprised.  

Rip and Red have been good friends for a long time and are really looking forward to their 5th grade year.  They know what to expect from their teacher, they will get to play basketball together, and they know all their classmates.  But the minute they step into their classroom they are in for a big surprise.  They have a new teacher who h words tests and homework.  Basketball is different too - they will be playing competitive games.   

Rip and Red were deeper characters than I thought they would be.  Rip is not just the black kid with locks that everyone thinks he is.  He read Out of My Mind ;0  His mom is a principal and there is a strong education, anti test vibe to the book ;0  Red is on the spectrum.  Rip and Red's friendship is really great.  Their teacher is different and that causes problems but it is inspiring to see how things work out.  

I really liked this...

No comments:

Post a Comment