Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Winter Sky

 

One of my biggest complaints as I read children's books is that they are too long.  My students are pulled many directions - school work, sports, screen time.  Although publishers seem to think that since kids read Harry Potter they will read long books I find that isn't always the case.  So this review may come as a shock...this book wasn't really long enough...

Siria's dad is a fireman and she worries about him all the time.  So much so that if she hears a siren she sneaks out of the house to make sure her dad is okay.  The main premise of the book is that mysterious fires are being set and Siria feels she needs to figure out who is setting them.  Although this is somewhat of a mystery it seemed pretty obvious right off.  There is also an abandoned dog who plays a part in the story.  While I felt that a lot of pieces were there - I also felt that they were a lot of holes.  The biggest was the theater fire...I could understand the other fires but how did that one get so big.  Anyway...it's not a bad story...I just felt it needed a bit more...


No comments:

Post a Comment