Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Revolution

 

Let me start by saying that I have never read anything else by Deborah Wiles.  Next - the length - dang it's long but the pages of photographs and commentary as well as the differing point of views made it a quick enough read.  I found the story well done.  I have read other reviews and I can see the point of Raymond not being as strong a character - I agree, I wish more had been done with him and even Gillette...but it is Sunny's story.  But did Sunny's story even get diminished by the other points of view and interruptions?  Then there is audience.  I have 4th and 5th graders and this book is almost 500 pages long.  What about the 2 nonfiction books about the same topic - Freedom Summer at 144 pages or The Freedom Summer Murders at 256 pages.  I think about who I am reviewing for - the Maine Student Book Award for 4th - 8th graders.  Would we want all 3 books?  Which book would reach the most students?  I loved the book but am struggling to find where it will fit in both my library or not, the MSBA list or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment