Friday, August 18, 2017

The Trail















I love hiking and my dream is to someday do some of the Appalachian Trail.  That is what drew me to this book.  It tells the story of Toby who feels he needs to hike from near his home in Vermont to Katahdin to finish a list he created with his best friend.  A friend who died.  So Toby (12) leaves home to walk the trail.  Along the way he encounters moose, bear, skunks, almost dies of hypothermia, loses his pack to a drunk but ultimately manages to survive on his own and saves a dog.

Now I will say the book was quite adventurous but...  highly unrealistic.  First - he's 12.  I question whether he would have gotten that far alone without anyone noticing, stopping him.  Then he really faced almost every imaginable thing that could happen on the trail (nope, didn't meet a porcupine) - to the point of being too unbelievable.  I did like his growth and determination and kids won't mind the unlikelihood of his adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment