Monday, October 12, 2015

Piecesof Why

Image result for pieces of why 

Nothing like a long weekend to get some reading in.  My husband doesn't like when I read in the car but I interspersed reading with chatting.  At least I didn't fall asleep.  

Tia and her mom live in a questionable neighborhood of New Orleans but Tia rises above this by being part of a children's choir and by imagining that she can someday become a famous singer.  When a child is shot during a carjacking near the church where they are singing, Tia is forced to confront the truth about what happened with her father and why he is in jail even if her mother would rather let the past be forgotten.

Tia was a great character and there was good action betwen her and her friends as she comes to terms with the past and works toward building her future.  

So what did I think?  The story itself was good.  My issue is manily the discussion of Tia's period and Keisha's interactions with a boyfriend.  For a middle schoolbook this is fine and for a book primarily for girls -fine.  I review mainly for books to be on the Maine Student Book Award and when I recommend a book for the list I really want it to be something that will not be a "boy" book or a "girl" book.  I want to be able to recommend it to allmy readers - sometimes difficult.  I feel like the topics will be awkward for some of my particular readers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment