Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Marvels

Image result for marvels book selznick 

There is no doubt that Selznick has become the master of his domain.  The illustrations are stunning...the work involved is mind blowing.  The story itself was intense and heartbreaking in a way.  As I was readng it I was thinking back to some Newbery conversations I have seen surrounding the book.  Could the text stand alone?  I don't really think it could because the mystery and wonder of the first section makes Joseph's quest for the truth more poignant.  

So my overall reaction?  I left a bit unstasified with the ending- how did Joseph get there?  But...that was probably the intention.  What about the audience?  Will this be a fit for my school that goes up to 5th grade - I don't really think so.  The appreciation for the images - yes but the nuances of the text - not so much.  What about Maine Student Book Award???  I am still mulling.  It will definately get my vote for the short list and we can debate its merits in March ;0

No comments:

Post a Comment