Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Madman of Piney Woods

 

I know I have read Elijah of Buxton but beyond remembering that I liked it I don't remember much about it.  This book stands alone because although Elijah is in the book it is really not necessary at all to have read Elijah of Buxton to read this.

In this book Benji from Buxton befriends Red from a nearby town.  The book is told from the 2 perspectives and the boys don't even meet until part 2.  Benji wants to be a newspaper reporter, Red wants to be a scientist.  Benji comes from a slave heritage, Red comes from Irish immigrants.  While very different they strike up a friendship that breaks down barriers and also helps mend old wounds.  

I found this book to be very good.  Historical fiction can be a hard sell but I have teachers who use Christopher Paul Curtis' other books and I can use that to promote this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment