Saturday, November 29, 2014

Egg and Spoon

 

This is the best book I have read all year.  The imagery, language of the narrator, the differing viewpoints, the folklore, the sass...I loved it.

Elena is a poor peasant girl in Tsarist Russia.  Her father is dead, her mother is sick, one brother is a servant, and one was conscripted into the army.  When a train rolls into town she "befriends" Ekaterina who is on her way to St. Petersburg with her great-aunt to meet the Tsar's godson.  When the train leaves Cat (Ekaterina) fall off with their gift of a Faberge egg, Elena is left in her place.  On their differing journeys they meet some interesting characters - Babi Yaga in particular, learn about themselves, and try to rescue Russia with both the Fabrege egg and a Firebird egg.  

This truly was a fabulous book.  My one concern is length - I don't think my students have the stamina for it and that is really too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment