Saturday, July 12, 2014

Will Poole's Island

 

Will Poole is an orphan whose rebellious ways frustrate his guardian Overlock.  When Will is approached by an elderly Indian names Squamiset his life takes on a very different turn.  When Will stands up for Squamiset and a friend from his childhood he is forced to leave the life he knows and enter fully into the native culture.

I really enjoyed the first half of the book.  As it got more into the mysticism of the culture I was not as intrigued.  I felt that I did not connect with either the childhood friend or Will's love interest at all.  Will mentioned how the villagers accepted him for his kindness and yet that never really played out in the story.  I didn't see the kindness.  I didn't see a relationship built between Will and anyone else besides Squamiset.  

The ending was disappointing to me.  I don't want to be a spoiler but all throughout the story it built to this quest that Will and Squamiset were led to take and then....not so much and to me Will seemed to be left hanging.

Some may find this a wonderful book and we are certainly entitled to our own opinions...for my purposes, for the age of children I work with and their interests I don't think this will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment