Thursday, July 10, 2014

West of the Moon / Oliver and the Seawigs

  

This was a very interesting book with roots in Norwegian folklore and history.  Astri's mom has died and her dad has gone to America in search of his fortune leaving Astri and her sister Gloria with her aunt.  When money gets tight Astri is sold to a goatman who does not treat her well.  Eventually Astri is able to escape, rescue a mysterious spinning girl (at least temporarily) and get her sister.  Together they manage to get on board a ship to America.

The ending is a bit abrupt and leaves some loose ends...on purpose?  A sequel?  

I am a little torn about this one.  Overall I think I liked it but some things bothered me and I am not sure yet if it will be in my library.



  

This one is just silly.  Oliver had hoped that his parents would give up exploring and settle down.  But then they discovered an island that turned out to be a Rambling Isle on his way to the Seawig Contest and the two parents were kidnapped.  Oliver sets out to find them with the help of another Rambling Isle (Cliff), an albatross, and a mermaid named Iris.

I think kids will enjoy this because it is silly, not too long, and has illustrations.


No comments:

Post a Comment