Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Alexander Graham Bell: Master of Sound

 

I received this book to review from Follett.  I had never heard of the book before and when I started it I did not know that it was part of a series - #7 in fact.  I work at a grade 1 - 5 school library and I do not have any of the other books in the library which automatically means I probably wouldn't have purchased this one.

This book is about twins Maisie and Felix who have time traveled before with the help of a treasure chest.  When another pair of twins moves to Newport, Maisie is interested in making new friends and seeing if they can time travel as well.  It turns out that they can (because they are actually related to them very distantly).  Together the four of them travel to Victorian England where they meet Charles Dickens and Alexander Graham Bell.  They give Alexander Graham Bell a magnet.

I realized soon into the book that it was a series and I was missing some background information about how they had first time traveled and where else they had gone.  The characters did not seem very well developed to me and I didn't feel that I knew the 3 girls well at all by the end of the book.  There was some action in the book as 2 of the kids were taken to a work house and Felix was in an accident while being forced to work as a chimney sweep.  All in all though I felt like the plot was weak. 

Based on this book I probably would not purchase the series...sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment