Saturday, July 26, 2014

Freedom Summer



This book talks about the events during the summer of 1964 in and around Philadelphia, Mississippi.  During that summer college students came down to Mississippi in an effort to get African Americans registered to vote and to start Freedom Schools.   Unfortunately, the summer began with the murder of 3 of the workers - 2 white and 1 black.  The book follows the investigation into their murders and the work done in the area and in the Civil Rights movement during that summer.

What I thought was interesting just now was when I looked up Freedom Summer on Goodreads I got quite a few hits on books about the same topic.  So why this one?  What makes this stand out?  Why write another one?  I personally had not read a book about the Freedom Summer murders so it was good information for me.  I struggle with whether to put it in my 1-5 grade library.  No one even studies US history in my school.  Do I send it up to the jr. high?  High School?  It was a good book, don't get me wrong...I just don't know what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment