Sunday, December 1, 2013

More From Thanksgiving Break



This is a Cybils nominee that I was able to get as an eBook.  I enjoyed this book quite a bit.  Sarah has had to live her whole life as the one who lived.  Her mother drowned her twin brother and tried to drown Sarah as well.  Sarah doesn't know her mother at all because her mom is in a mental hospital.  Her dad is still trying to put his life back together after losing his son and trying to raise his daughter alone.  In addition Sarah is experiencing the normal events that a teenage girl would experience.  A good read.

 

Clem is a talented student and writer but is forced to leave school and work in the mine when he turns 13.  Full of danger, friendship, and sadness this story speaks to responsibility and finding your own way in the world. 

 

Not sure how I feel about this book.  I read about 1/2 and almost put it down because it bothered me how the Grunt was treated.  But then there was the mystery to it and Eric's persistence in learning more about the book.  I did like that and how it ended.  Not sure this will be a good fit for my library though.



I heard about this book quite a while back but it didn't really grab my interest.  As a Cybils nomination I received a copy.  I did end up liking it.  Twins Owen and Russell are very different...Own is the athlete and Russell is the mathlete.  But when Russell gets taller the new coach wants him to try out for the basketball team.  And he makes it!  Owen is jealous of his brother's new skills and the attention he is getting.  Is there room for two athletes in the family.  Can Russell be an athlete and a mathlete?  

These were all enjoyable books...

No comments:

Post a Comment