Sunday, December 22, 2013

Some Christmas vacation reading




  

I am glad the first round of Cybils is over.  I enjoyed the reading but it got very overwhelming.  So many books and not nearly enough time to read them all.  Binny for Short was the last Cybils nominee I read.  Binny's life has been turned upside down.  Her dad died and then they had to give her dog Max away.  At first Max went to live with her Granny but then Aunt Violet butted in and gave Max away.  Binny was heartbroken and at her grandmother's funeral she let Aunt Violet have it.  Then Aunt Violet died and left her cottage on the ocean to Binny.  Wait what? 

The book was interesting but it took me a while to get into it...


  

Blue can't remember what has happened to her.  She just knows she wants to get home.  But why does the phrase "all dead, no one survived, all dead" keep running through her head.  With the help of a mysterious dog, Shadow, a boy named Snake, and some other kind people along the way Blue finally makes it back home and figures out the truth of what happened.

I really enjoyed this book.  Unfortunately, it will be too mature for my readers at school.

  

I loved Punished by David Lubar so I couldn't wait to read this one.  I really feel that one doesn't have to read the first book to enjoy this one.  In this book Logan and Benedict travel to a math museum with their class and as a result of messing with a robot and a brain freeze incident become numbed.  They can't do any math.  Fortunately, Dr. Thagoras at the museum can help them out.  


The premise and the robot are totally far fetched but the book is fun and the math is clever.  I am going to recommend this to my math teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment