Thursday, December 26, 2013

I'm On a Roll...

Lots of reading this Christmas vacation...trying to make a dent in the TBR pile and the box of books I brought home from my school library.  Lots of 2013 titles still to read and I just keep shifting books around.  

  

It has been a while since I read a Clementine book.  My daughter has the first several but this one has been listed the Heavy Medal blog so I thought I'd read it.  For what it is, a younger fiction book I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Clementine is similar to other quirky young girl characters like Junie B, etc but there is a freshness about her.  In addition, her friend Margaret is a hoot.  Is this the absolute best book out there?  No, but it is a lot of fun and totally appropriate for the intended audience.

  

This book is by the author of The Ghost of Graylock which is the most popular Maine Student Book Award in my school.  This book grabbed me right from the start.  The first chapter started of almost like a high fantasy but then there was the cell phone and the weird names...wait what???  I really enjoyed the twists and turns and the climactic ending.  Very well done.

  

The sequel to The False Prince was wonderful.  I absolutely loved it and can't wait for the next one.


  


This was a wonderful account of Leon Leyson who was one of the Jews rescued by Oscar Schindler.  It was very powerful and the best Holocaust book I have read in a while.

  

This was a great read!  Intrigue, action, romance, adventure - even some plot twists that I didn't see coming.  Well done.  The only thing that I think is weird is the tagline...Can she save the kingdom with a piglet?  While Rosie the piglet does have a role in the book I didn't find it so vital to the role that it stars in the tagline...that's just me though.  It was a great book!!


No comments:

Post a Comment