Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp by Kathi Appelt

 

Only 2 1/2 months or so of 2013 and I have so many books I still want to read.  I look at blogs and lists for what are considered the "best".  I also have to think what will appeal to kids for the Maine Student Book Award and what is on the list of nominees for the Cybils.  This is one book that has been on some "best" lists.  I checked it out of my local library before I started getting Cybils nominees so I felt like I needed to finish it first.

I am not always a fan of the animal fantasy so I had to really push myself to start this.  I was able to finish it rather quickly.  I did like this story of 2 raccoons, a boy and his mother trying to save their business and the swamp, an evil millionaire and alligator wrestler, and the Sugar Man.  What I found though, as entertaining as the book was, I didn't really connect with any of the characters.  The story shifted from one character to another and I felt like I didn't really get to know any of them.  The story was pretty good...it just didn't rise to the top for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment