Monday, October 14, 2013

Columbus Day Weekend Bundle

Every Columbus Day weekend since we moved to Maine in 2000 we have gone to Acadia National Park.  Even with the government shutdown we found some great walks.  We did end up coming in a bit earlier than usual so I got a lot of reading done...12 books to share.



This just came in this last week for my school library.  Honestly I thought it was a 2013 title otherwise I wouldn't have taken it along.  Alas it is a 2012 that I missed.  Anyway, I did like it because it was different...a western which you don't see much of anyway and a different storyline.  I think my students will enjoy it.  I may have to get others by the author.



Anyone who has followed me at all knows I am not a big graphic novel fan.  I don't have anything against them - just not my favorite.  I actually liked this one though.  A team of six orphans - brought together by Phoebe - try to find out why their parents died.  There was action, adventure, and friendship.



This was the third graphic novel I read this weekend.  This one had some good creep factor to it as well as a good mystery.  it kind of reminded me of the Spiderwick books.  I think my older students will like this.



Loved this one!!!  My daughter actually grabbed it from me and read it first.  Fascinating and gross at the same time.  What could be better?



This book has gotten some Newbery buzz in the Heavy Medal blog.  I have been interested in volcanoes since I received a bottle of ash from Mt. St. Helens that came from my grandmother's yard.  This had a lot of great information and photographs.  This was a real winner.  The book mentioned Guatemala a few times.  When I go on mission's trips we stay in a region with several dormant volcanoes.  Hopefully the scientists are keeping an eye on them.



This was a short poetry book with the subtitle "Rhymes of Blunder from Six Feet Under".  I felt that it was a little uneven.  Some poems were really funny - others not so much.



This was a cute poetry book about a boy and his dad who go fishing...oh yeah and the younger sister who tags along.  What I liked best about this book was that the author used different types of poetry which makes this a great "teacher" book.




This is another good poetry book for teachers because students can come up with their own creatures modeled after Prelutsky's/  This was a fun book.





I enjoyed this mystery book.  Sophie and Grace set out to spy on some of their neighbors but they get more than they bargain for when they spy on Sophie's guidance counselor.   Is Dr. Agford as sugary sweet as she wants everyone to believe or it is a disguise for something far more sinister.





This was a rip roaring good adventure set on the mighty Mississippi.  River's father is a pirate but when he disappears after the earthquakes of 1811 River must do what she can to survive and protect her father's legacy.  This was a fun read.



I really liked this book but it has a few strikes against it.  The first is the shifting time...it goes from present to past and it could be hard for the intended audience to follow.  Secondly, it just doesn't seem to resolve itself.  Ruby is so worried about having her wish come true and it doesn't really.  I think she is resigned to the fact that she can't get her grandmother back but it just seems to fall flat.

 

There were certainly some funny parts to this book.  I was not impressed with the language and the ending didn't really come together for me.  It was pretty unrealistic overall.



No comments:

Post a Comment