Saturday, October 26, 2013

Serafina's Promise by Ann E. Burg



  

In the last blog I wrote I mentioned how overwhelmed I have been.  So, I actually said, "yes" out loud when I opened this up and saw it was a poetic narrative.  It was much quicker to read.  I have noticed in a lot of books I've read lately that they are just too long.  Maybe it's the Harry Potter thing.  Kids will read long books - if they are good.  Unfortunately some of these books need some tightening...they tend to lag in the middle.  Anyway, I digress.  I really enjoyed this book and the length was not a problem.

Serafina lives in Haiti with her mom and dad.  She has a lot of chores because she is an only child.  Her mom is expecting and Serafina hopes that this baby will live.  Serafina's dream and promise to herself is that she will become a doctor so she can prevent babies from dying and help her people.  In order to go to school Serafina needs to get money for books and a uniform and convince her mom.  When a flood hits their town and then the massive earthquake hits can Serfina keep her promise alive?

This was really very good.  They were some great gems of writing and hope.  With the earthquake in Haiti and the rebuilding there still a relevant issue I think students will find this a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment