Thursday, July 24, 2014

2 Shorter Books

  

Can you go wrong with a Russell Freedman book really?  Well researched, lots of facts, and photographs.  I don't have a good history on the Civil Rights Movement so this was really interesting.  What struck me is that all of this took place mere years before I was born...recent history really.  The book was interesting...for me.  And there is the issue...unless students are studying the Civil Rights Movement will they pick this up?  Is it our job to expose them to it? I will put it in my library and try to promote this and other similar books through a display or by talking to teachers about using it in their curriculum...we'll see.



   

This was an interesting story of how Benny Goodman teamed up with Teddy Wilson and others to form the first interracial Jazz band.  The writing was a bit weird for me...back and forth and a lot of name dropping that unless you follow Jazz, Swing, Blues you wouldn't know.  I will be putting it in my library but I am not sure how much circulation it will get unless I market it with other books about musicians or during African American History month???

No comments:

Post a Comment