Thursday, March 12, 2015

Choosing Courage



Image result for choosing courage  

This book documents the events surrounding men and women from the Civil War and forward who have been awarded the Medal of Honor.  It talks about events leading up to the war or event they participated in and the actions that led to them being nominated and awarded with the medal.  For the most part the book focuses on the fact that many felt they were just doing their job or were protecting their brothers and sisters in arms or society as a whole.  The take away from the book is that in the moment many people rise to the occasion and choose courage.  Most, if not all, would say that there were not necessarily anything special and honor those who died or who may not have received the same honor.  

I felt the book was well done.  Each story was a few pages long and spanned different races, both genders, and various conflicts and events.  For students who are interested in military stories this would be a good fit.

As a librarian in a school that goes up to 5th grade I often struggle with whether to put a book labelled 5 and up in the library.  This is a maybe for me...I can see the appeal and the length is good.

For any who may follow this blog I have decided to dust off another blog that I used to do for a class.  A few weeks ago someone found that blog and contacted me about a post I had written and asked if he could follow me.  I was pretty surprised.  The blog "Librarian in a Candy Shop" gave a more thorough analysis of qualitative and quantitative level, curriculum ideas, etc.  After the class I took I didn't continue it because it is a lot of work however I can see the value in a longer entry like that.  So, if I feel that a book I read has particular value in a content area and warrants a longer entry I will also post to that blog.  This book is my first to have a cross posting and can be found at 
http://librarianinacandyshop.blogspot.com/2015/03/choosing-courage.html

 


No comments:

Post a Comment