Friday, March 27, 2015

Anywhere but Paradise

Image result for anywhere but paradise 

I loved historical fiction as a kid - Little House on the Prairie and others.  In my years of teaching and as a librarian though I find historical fiction a really hard sell.  Sure you have some who read American Girl but overall...

So...how would this book fare?  It is set shortly after Hawaii becomes a state.  Peggy Sue and her family have moved to Hawaii from Texas.  Her cat is quarantined for half a year, a bully at school is threatening her, and she doesn't seem to fit in.  Add in a natural disaster and Peggy Sue is having a rough go.  While the book was okay I felt that the characters were never really developed - mom and dad mere blips and the plot didn't move quickly enough to keep me interested let alone my students.  Sorry - didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment