Sunday, November 24, 2013

Saturday's Reads

 

Just a word to publishers before I start...please, consider your audience.  Cover design is important, font size is important, white space is important.  I have been receiving a lot of Cybils nominees and I am turned off by the appearance of the book before I even start it.  And if I am turned off, my kids will be too.  I will give them a good chance to change my mind but some already are starting with a negative impression.

Anyway, A Song for Bijou was one of the best I have read lately.  I enjoyed the alternating point of view although it might have been better to have made it more obvious at the beginning of a chapter.  I loved the teenage, first love awkwardness.  All in all this was a good read.  Because the characters are older than my students I am torn about putting it in my library or sending it over to the jr. high.

  

When I opened this and saw it was in verse I was pleased because I knew I could read it quicker.  I had this near the top of my pile because of the content.  Overall I enjoyed the story but I did feel it lacked some of the emotions one would expect from a book about the Holocaust.  While Odette had some scary moments in the book, overall I did not feel the danger.  Perhaps that is because of the intended audience.

I enjoyed both books and they are worth reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment