Sunday, November 17, 2013

Romeo Blue by Phoebe Stone



Wow, I have been off here for awhile.  I have been so busy at school and then went to the AASL conference in Hartford this weekend.  Plus this book was long.  I debated through the first 50 pages whether I would actually finish it.  I have not read The Romeo and Juliet Code although I have heard a lot about it and wish I had time to read it now.  I don't feel that it affected my reading of this book.  Enough background was given throughout the book to catch me up.  

I really enjoyed this book.  It is a coming of age tale as Fliss comes to terms with her daddy-uncle, her uncle-daddy and her mom's relationship.  She deals with loss, first love, and some mystery.  There almost seemed to be 2 stories.  The first part focused on the German spy and then when that was resolved it settled into the waiting that comes with war.  

The writing was done well.  I really felt connected with Fliss and could understand Winnie and The Gram's conflict and emotions.  For the first half of the book before Gideon went away I also connected with him.  Some of the other characters were not as developed - especially Derek but I suppose that was part of the mystery of Derek and least from Fliss' perspective.  All in all this was a good read.

Readit...


No comments:

Post a Comment