Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Mapping the Bones


















This book appealed to me initially for three reasons

  • Jane Yolen!!!
  • A tie in to Hansel and Gretel  - intriguing
  • A Holocaust book with twins
Oh, I wanted to like it but...

The tie in the Hansel and Gretel was really thin.  I had hoped for a book more similar to Briar Rose by Yolen which was fabulous.  This just didn't have the same punch.

The twin angle really didn't kick in until the last 100 pages of this 400 page book.  It was a horrifying aspect of the story but it took a long time to get there.

The story is mainly about Chaim and Gittel who start in a ghetto, escape with their family and another family to join the partisans, get separated from all the adults, and end up in a camp working with munitions where they meet a doctor inspired by the terrible Mengele.  

In the end I did like it but not as much as I hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment