Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Erth Dragons: The Wearle


















So I am not really a fan of what I consider "high fantasy" - Tolkein, elves, dwarves, totally made up lands and languages.  But dragons are an exception.  Surprisingly this came from the one year I taught 7th grade and the short story by Anne McCaffrey called "The Smallest Dragonboy" which led me to read all the Dragonriders of Pern series (well, not all written by her nephew).  I have reader some D'Lacey books as well so I was pretty set about giving this a go.

In this book a wearle of dragons have come to earth in search of another wearle that had been sent years before and never heard from again.  As they settle in the keep their distance from the Hom (early humans), dig for a mineral that helps them with their firemaking ability, and start raising young.  But a terrible accident sets things in motion - a dead queen, a missing young dragon, mysterious dark creatures, and a curious boy.

I did enjoy the book.  It would be best for those who enjoy this type of fantasy and is better for stronger readers who are not intimidated by alternate languages and settings.   

No comments:

Post a Comment