Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Curse of the Boggin

Image result for curse of the boggin

I am not going to lie.  I have read some books lately that - ick.  I haven't even blogged or submitted reviews about quite a few.  Partly because they don't fit my normal reading - primarily grades 4 - 8 for MSBA but also because they don't really reflect my worldview.  

BUT...  I loved this!  Up front I will say that I listened to the audio which may have affected my love but - sigh of goodness.

The prologue is terrifying as a young boy is seemingly chased up to his roof and when his dad follows him up there the poor boy witnesses his dad fall off the roof due to the dog, old lady, or mysterious storm - which all disappeared.

Fast forward a few weeks.  Marcus is a pretty typical teen - problems with his (adopted) parents, some issues at school, two good friends.  But all of a sudden he sees mysterious things - ghosts, weird old lady, and a key.  It turns out the the man who died on the roof and Marcus' real father were agents of the library.  This library is full of unfinished stories that all feature disturbances - ghosts, boggins, curses. The key gives Marcus access to the library but it up to him to finish the story that features the man on the roof, a boggin, and his own father.

The action was great in this.  Although I figured out a few things early I think the intended reader will find some surprises.  My only issue was that after the "climax" there were a few chapters of resolution which I felt went too long.  This is the first book in a series but this particular episode ended well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment