Friday, July 10, 2015

Reading Science Stories

 

This book is an attempt to provide nonfiction passages about science (and math)that teachers can use as part of their instruction.  I applaud the effort.  The Common Core State Standards call for an increase in nonfiction reading and that type of reading does require different skills.  Does this book succeed though? Unfortunately for me it does not.  I think the intent was to have short selections that could be read independently but many of the selections refer back to each other and build on concepts.  To me the book still read like a science textbook and not a selection of stories.  For students interested in science and math this may be successful and I imagine that there are teachers who will jump on this as a solution to their nonfiction woes but to me the stories are not kid friendly enough.  There were times when the author interjected humor and those were successful but there was not enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment