Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Baba Yaga's Assistant

 

I just got back from Guatemala very early Sunday morning.  It has taken awhile to get back into the swing of things.  I had good intentions of reading while I was there and I did read a few books but I feel a bit behind.  I received this book yesterday and it had two things going for it right off - it's about Baba Yaga - how fun and it is a graphic novel so it was fairly quick.  Just to make you all jealous - I read it in my kayak on the pond.

So I am not always a fan of graphic novels but I loved this.  Masha's mom died when she was young and her beloved grandmother has also died.  Her father is getting remarried to a women who Masha has never met and who has a daughter named Danielle.  Masha decides to apply to be Baba Yaga's assistant.  She has grown up hearing the tales about Baba Yaga, including her grandmother's own stories.  I loved how clever Masha was and how she passed the tests and rescued some children.  The book was fun and had allusions to Baba Yaga tales that may encourage readers to check them out.


No comments:

Post a Comment