Friday, April 24, 2015

Valiant

Image result for valiant book 

This book is described as an alternate version of "The Brave Little Tailor",  Not being familiar with that tale makes it harder to relate to this one - and I think my students would feel the same way.

Saville's father is a tailor but when he moves them to the city and then becomes ill Saville does what she feels she needs to in order to survive - she disguises herself as a boy and starts to work as a tailor herself.  Meanwhile there are rumblings of giants in the land and a mysterious Duke who want to be king.  With the help of some new friends Saville outwits some giants and eventually figures out a way to defeat the Duke and save the town.  

I liked the character of Saville and her relationship with the homeless boy she helps is good.  The book to me seemed a bit long and the romance at the end seemed a bit forced...it didn't really seem that she was old enough for most of the book.  I don't feel that some of the other characters were fleshed out enough - especially the Duke.  

This wasn't a bad book - just wasn't my favorite...

No comments:

Post a Comment