Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Scrap City

Image result for scrap city book 

Covers can be deceptive can't they?  From the cover I imagined a light hearted, short romp - almost cartoonish.  That is not what I got.  Don't get my wrong - in the end I enjoyed it but it was 352 pages and the was arson, theft, heartbreak, and more.  Not what I was expecting.

While Jerome is at the town junkyard with his father and uncle he discovers Arkie - a Scrapper - a living, sentient being made of - well - junk.  Arkie takes Jerome underground to his city but along the way they discover oil.  Oil and water don't mix.  Jerome soon becomes embroiled in a race to save Smithytown and an evil developer bent on taking the land at any cost.  When Jerome learns of this developer's past it gets personal.

So I did like it in the end but it took over 1/2 the book for me to really get into it.  Not sure my students would stick with it that long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment