Saturday, April 18, 2015

Dear Hank Williams

Image result for dear hank williams 

Tate is given the assignment early in the school year to write to a pen pal.  While the teacher wants students to write to students from Japan, Tate chooses to write to Hank Williams who she has been hearing on the radio.  The whole book is told through Tate's letters to Hank Williams.  At first Tate glamorizes her life and talks about her photographer father and actress mother but as the book goes on we find out more of the truth - including a reveal that I didn't see coming.  This is a quiet book - not much "happens" - it is more a book about Tate coming to terms with her family situation and life in general.  While I liked it by the end and it was a relatively quick read I am not sure there is enough substance and action to hook my readers.  I wish Hank Williams had actually had some kind of real presence instead of just being the recipient of Tate's letters - I get it but it made everything very one sided and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment