Sunday, June 11, 2017

See You in the Cosmos


















In my circles this book has been receiving a lot of buzz.  Confession - I had a hard time getting into it.  Maybe I just don't like rockets or the format was weird for me.  I buckled down today though and told myself I needed to just read in longer sections.  So off I went - 90 degrees, kayak, waterproof back, book, and wind.  I plunked myself out in the pond and read til I drifted to shore and repeated that for at least an hour.  That definitely helped me get into the book more.

Alex is obsessed with rockets and has built one that he wants to test out at a convention.  So he books himself a train ticket and heads out.  Problem is - he's 11.  But, his mom is pretty quiet and let's him do whatever he wants.  When he gets there he meets people he only knew online.  While the launch doesn't go as planned, he sets off on an even bigger adventure which takes him to Las Vegas and LA, he learns the truth about his father and meets a half sister, and develops friendship and strengthens family bonds.

I did end up liking the story but was troubled by this 11 year old hooking up and traveling with so many strangers...

No comments:

Post a Comment