Monday, September 1, 2014

Nest

 

This is one of those books.  Wow is there a lot to it.  Chirp (Naomi's) mother is a dancer but when she is stricken with MS her life it turned upside down.  She enters into a deep depression and is hospitalized.  Rachel, Chirp, and their dad try to make the best of things but they are also navigating teenage dramas, friendship, and just life.  Chirp befriends a neighbor boy Joey but there is drama (possibly abuse) there too.  When Chirp's mom eventually comes home things should get better...

I hate spoilers so I won't go on...suffice it to say the title reflects Chirp's struggle to hide and adjust to the storms around her.  I can imagine that adults will love this and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets award notice but it is very deep and emotional.  Will I put it in my library?  With kids grades 1 - 5 I often struggle with the more mature, emotional content.  Yes, 5th graders can probably handle it and have been exposed to worse in their own lives but my younger students? Also with it being set in the early 1970s not sure if students will understand how different some things were in regards to abuse and mental illness.  It wasn't that long ago but things have changed.  It's not something students are exposed to in most history courses so they may not get it.  It is kind of like reading Bridge to Terabithia now - things have changed with bullying, etc that kids reading it today don't understand.

Great book but tough issues...

No comments:

Post a Comment